Thursday, February 24, 2011

No Sore Throat?

How did Jim go from this



to this



in just days?


On Tuesday Jim came home from work a little early complaining of having chills and fever.  I had just got over strep so I thought he was coming down with it also.  All evening I asked him if his throat was sore and he said no.  He laid in his chair, bundled up in a blanket, shivering the rest of the night.  Randi babied him all evening.  I was a bit annoyed he was sick, there were things to do!


Wednesday morning he got up and headed to work.  I told him it was silly to go to work when he didn't feel good but he insisted that they couldn't live without him and went anyway.  I knew it!  He wasn't sick, he was just trying to get some sympathy.  That evening he claimed he had fought chills and fever all day so I inquired about his throat again.  He continued to insist his throat was fine.  He showed me a rash on his leg, complained it itched, hurt a little, was hot, and just plain annoying.


"What a big baby." I thought to myself as he bundled back up in a blanket and shivered most of the night.


After a long night of trying to help Jim get comfortable and asking him if his throat hurt yet, I woke up a bit cranky.  I sent Ryder to school, got Randi settled in, and turned on the TV for Ella, hoping to go back to bed.  Just as everyone was settled and my pillow started calling me, Jim was up again.  I suggested he see the doctor for a strep test and called for an appointment, but they didn't have anything available before next Monday.  UGH!  He promised he would be fine but when I saw his leg swollen twice the size of the other I demanded he get into the truck and we headed for the Urgent Care.  Two hours later we were headed home with a diagnosis of Cellulites in his leg, a shot of antibiotics, two prescriptions for oral antibiotics, and instructions to go to the ER if it gets worse.  So, it wasn't strep?  They didn't even give him a strep test!


Friday morning went smooth until the leg started oozing yuck.  I made a quick call to the Urgent Care he had gone to the day before.  The doctor said he needed to go to the ER.  Did I mention that he told us yesterday that if it got worse to GO TO THE ER?  But really, isn't the ER for people that are dieing or have sore throats?  Jim was far from dieing and swore he didn't have a sore throat.  His only ailment was that his leg had a rash and was a bit swollen.  Oh ya and now dripping yuck and stinks.  I thought he would live and frankly I didn't want to go sit in the ER for hours just for them to tell me to take him home and see his PCP the next day.  So I had a brilliant idea to go to another Urgent Care for a second opinion.  This time the Doctor gave him IV antibiotics in his office and made us promise we would come back the next day for a recheck, still no strep test!


About a hour into the wait to see the Doctor the next morning Jim announced his leg was better and we should just go home.  Luckily the nurse saw us waiting and called us back before he headed out the door.  She took one look at his leg and went to get the doctor.  His leg was worse (if that was possible) and I was instructed to take him to the ER.  Again, isn't the ER for the dieing?  I guess you could say Jim wasn't far from dieing.  After hearing him complain for the last three days about being sick and now about going to the ER, he was going to need a crash cart by the time I got him there.




They started IV antibiotics and got him admitted.  See, he doesn't look sick at all!  NOT even a sore throat!!!  He was comfortably settled into his room by 1:30am.


(WARNING!  YUCK!!  NOT FOR THE QUEASY!!!)

All because of this.




He made the best out of his vacation.  He enjoyed a comfy bed,




continuous mixed drinks,



daily (sometimes hourly) dressing changes,


and great food! (Thanks Mike!)


While I slept here


all because of STREP... and NO SORE THROAT!

2 comments:

Danika said...

So glad Jim is doing better & home now!
My nephew had cellulitis in arm when he was 5. My bro-in-law had taken him to their PCP for the rash & fever and thankfully their pediatrician knew exactly what it was and told them to drive straight to the hospital, which they did. They had a room waiting for him when he arrived.

Unknown said...

What a crazy thing you survived!! You all are troopers. Thank heavens Jim is recovering and doing better. We were worried for you!!
Love to you!