Friday, May 21, 2010

Colorado Jim and the Lost Treasure

The excited look on Randi's face was priceless when she rounded the corner and saw her Dad and I waiting to come into her class and then realized that today's "Special Speaker" was HER parents.  Oh the joy!

She stood in front of her class with a huge smile and introduced her Dad.


She sat down, pulled her sister upon her lap, and settled in to hear what her Dad had to say.


"Today, Randi's Mom and I found a secret portal, a black whole if you will." he started, "When Randi's Mom went searching for a treasure worth more than the $16.56 fine that would be charged, far more valuable than the loss of freedom, even more valuable than gold, and chocolate, yes, chocolate."

I stood at the back of the class waiting and watching Randi as the entire class quickly got very interested in the story.

"When I found her Mom and sister, they were tangled in a web of little pieces of paper, hair scrunchies, and treacherous HANGERS" he went on  "I struggled to pull them free.  They ALMOST DIED!!"


As the realization of what this story was about started setting in, I saw her smile drop and her face turn red.

"After making sure the girls were ok, I stepped into the portal, a black whole if you will."  he continued  "This valuable treasure had to be found.  I dove in a midst the hair scrunchies, hangers, and a pair of dirty underwear that had been lost for nearly three weeks.  After digging, searching, and wedging myself into tight places and with everything still swirling around me, I located the treasure.  It was entangled in covers and trapped between the mattress and bed frame.  It took all I had to get near the treasure but alas, I had to call for help.  It took two people to free the treasure from the grasp of the bed.  Finally, it was retrieved, but I knew the adventure wasn't over yet.  As I scrambled for safety, the bedroom furniture seemed to come to life, entangling my legs.  The purple piggy bank attaching my toes.  I fought hard!  At the last minute, when I felt I could fight no longer, I pulled myself to freedom."

"Would you like to see this most valuable treasure" he asked holding up the past due library book. 


There was a round of applause.

"You better run that down to the library right now!" exclaimed Randi's teacher.

Luckily I have a beautiful, understanding, and even tempered little girl that was able to smile and enjoy the sad little story about her lost library book and the black whole of her bedroom.  Her Dad even got a kiss on the way out!


Later:  Because the entire class turned in all their library books by the deadline (end of school today) the entire class was able to get a free book.  Randi came home with "Leven Thumps, Book Two"!!!  We are excited to read it over the summer.

1 comment:

Carol said...

that was a great story =- i was pretty excited to hear what the treasure was myself :)