Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thinking in the Shower

The shower is the best place to think!  It is so quiet, there are no children talking just to hear their voice, needing help with homework, or fighting; I can't hear the phone or doorbell ringing; and I have no TV, radio, or other noise making object to distract me.  Yep, it is just me, some soap, the hot water, and my brain, that, at times I allow to wander out into the weeds.  Sometimes it does get lost, but luckily I can give it the chance to wander with the comfort of knowing that I have the time to come to my senses while I am drying off, getting dressed, and making myself look presentable.  Usually by the time I am getting dressed I have rained in my craziness and I am back on track, listing my tasks for the day and nudging at the kids to get up and get going.  Most days I throw those thoughts back into the shower as I am walking out of the bathroom, however, one day this summer something happened and I forgot to throw them back.

I took those thoughts with me all day, wondering, pondering, and even getting excited.  I wondered if my dear husband would bring me back to reality.  I opened my computer, signed onto messenger, and proceeded to tell him of my plans.

"I want to go back to school" I typed

"Sounds like a good plan.  Where do you want to go?" he responded

Knowing he was just calling my bluff I responded with confidence "Just the community college across the way."

"Great Idea! I think you should." he encouraged

As the conversations went on his excitement grew.  Knowing I would have to shock him into reality, I got onto the college website to find out details.  I ended up applying.  What could it hurt?  I consoled myself.  I can win this!  I can't let him get me!

"I have been accepted!" I pounded

"Thats great!  Maybe I should go to." quickly popped up

Now this time I knew he was just trying to call my bluff.  So I said, "It was quick and easy just go to this webpage and apply."

"I have been accepted too!" came an excited reply "This could be fun!"

My heart sank!  He was serious!  There goes my sanity check! 

Over the last few weeks we have requested transcripts, spoken with advisors, registered for classes, and gone to orientation. 
Classes start this week!  That is what I get for not throwing my crazy thoughts back into the shower on the way out of the bathroom that morning!

6 comments:

Danika said...

Good for you guys! Congrats! It will be hard, but worth it!

The Wright Family said...

Crystal I'm so happy and proud of you! Way to go! What are you planning on studying?

Carrie said...

Sounds like fun!

danandcami said...

Well done!! I have toyed with the idea as well. Let me know what you think after you have been going for a little while!

Denver and Megan said...

That's awesome that you are going back to school! I would love to send you an announcement but I don't have your address...do you want to email it to me? My email address is meganfinch@live.com. Thanks a bunch!

Carrie said...

That is an exciting new adventure! Congradulations! Why didn't you mention these big plans when I came to visit last week!? Maybe it was too new and you were letting it sink in... anyway best of luck!